Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How thin is TOO thin?

Fashion & models that wear the so called "fashion" are most of the time people that girls look up to & "want to be like, or look like" one day.  They are usually beautiful, thin, tall & have guys swarming them all the time.  

To us, they are what we are "supposed" to look like, or that's at least how it seems.  Even though it may seem this way, we really have gotten it all wrong.  These girls make the clothes they are wearing looking great (most of the time) & make us want to go out & buy them.  But why SO skinny lately?  Can't they just be thin, not BONE & SKIN THIN??

An article from USA Today even stats they these are the people that little girls look up to, & by the models being so thin, we are sending out a terrible message to little girls, who usually have body image issues anyways (Hemrich, par. 2).  She makes a good point & states that these girls are "unnatural" & that's exactly what it comes down to.  These girls are NOT normal, even though sometimes we seem to think that is the new "normal".  This is not how we should want to look, or aspire to look like.  We have to teach our little girls today differently.  We don't want them to grow up TRYING to look like this!

 {via}
Wanting to look this thin can even lead girls into playing around with eating disorders such as anorexia &/or bulimia.  But to them, when they start to look boney & skeleton-y...they think they finally look "normal" & have reached the look they were going for..just like these models!  See how our world has warped us to believe in the new "normal".  We haven't gotten it all wrong!  To me, these woman actually look sick & scary!    
{via}
It all starts when girls are young.  They see beautiful celebrities & models on TV & aspire to be like them...have bodies like them, dress like them, drive certain cars like them, have the same hair as them etc.  But they have really gotten it all wrong.  Some of these woman are TOO thin, but no one tells these little girls this!

I know that if I ever have a little girl, as she grows up, I will point out to her that these woman & girls aren't "normal" that they are too thin & that it is NOT attractive, because it's not.  THere is nothing attractive about skin & bone!  We all need to try & do a better job at who we look up & aspire to be like, because the world has it all wrong.  

7 comments:

  1. Dear Kati,
    I loved this blog post. I never have realized before how bad the "skinny world" was.
    You were right, the picture of the first model was gross.

    "Can't they just be thin, not bone and skin thin?" sums it up perfectly. Some girls have a nasty look to them.

    "Some of these woman are TOO thin, but no one tells these little girls this!" I totally agree with this statement. Little girls have many terrible people to look up to, and it needs to stop.

    I really appreciate you writting this blog post. It was very interesting and I will cotinue to read some of your other ones because I think you and I think the same way.

    oryx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kati,

    This is something that I have definitely noticed lately. Although, lately it seems like more people are telling us to to “be ourselves” and that we are all beautiful the way we are- it is hard to shake off the feeling when you feel fat compared to these girls. Even though it can be unhealthy and is definitely not always attractive, we just want to be like them.

    I like how you discuss that this affects how little girls feel about themselves because they do look up to these stick-thin models. I just wish that more models were a normal size and shape. I think that would be crazy awesome!

    I just overall loved this post. It was probably the most easily relatable that I have yet to read. I think that young girls are so easily influenced and it is heartbreaking that women who don’t even look real can have that much of an effect on them.

    Thank you for this post. It was direct and to the point. I cannot wait to read more of your posts, especially because you know what you believe and you take a stand.

    -Galago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kati,

    I definitely agree with the problem that's plaguing young girls in today's society. Being thin and being healthy are entirely two different things.

    When you asked, "When does thin become too thin?", it really shows that there is a fine line between being a healthy weight and being unhealthily thing.

    This was a really great post and I agree with everything that you said about it. Young girls need a REAL role model, not Barbies that starve themselves to be pretty.

    This was very interesting and I'll be back for more!

    Genet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Katie,

    I love this post it really caught my attention to what celebraties are doing to girl our age. I liked how you explained where all of this starts.
    I liked what you said about when is it that thin begins. Nowadays you really don't know where it starts or where it finishes.
    I agree that nobody should try to be like someone else. At the end you are you and no one can change that. I myself have a friend that went through being anorexic because she wanted to be like everyone else. At the end she got out of it and realized she was making a huge mistake.
    I really loved this post and hope to come back.

    Aadavark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kati,

    This really is so sad to see. So many girls look up to these women as their role models. What they are doing to themselves can potentially kill them or make them very sick!

    When you talked about looks like this leading to anorexia or bulimia, I think that is completely true! It's really sad to see how many teen girls stuggle with diseases like this just because of the media's influence. When media has such an influence on our society, girl's are bound to try and look like what they see.

    "They are usually beautiful, thin, tall & have guys swarming them all the time." This makes their appeal look so much better. Not only are these girls in every magazine and T.V. show you see, they also have fame, fortune, and a nice-looking man to go with it. It makes it seem like the perfect life to growing girls.

    Thank you for the great post. This issue should really be looked at more by the public.

    Springbok

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kati,

    I could not agree more with this post. I actually watched a tv show the other day about a girl who was so thin and malnourished that she died. Ironically, she was a recovering anorexic working to help put an end to the disorder.

    I could not agree more with your statement, "It all starts when girls are young." Young children believe next to anything that you say to them. If the tv says that skinny is beautiful then that is what they are going to believe.

    I love that we agree on this fact: "We all need to try & do a better job at who we look up & aspire to be like, because the world has it all wrong." It is so sad to see girls who look up to celebrities that are leading some very questionable lives. My children will certainly know who they should look up to.

    Thank you for sharing. I really enjoy reading your thoughts!

    Zebra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kati,
    I was simply amazed when reading your blog post! I was truly disgusted when looking at the photos you attached with this blog.
    "She makes a good point & states that these girls are "unnatural" & that's exactly what it comes down to." This sentence stood out to me especially because it is truly unnatural looking to have a body with nothing but bones poking through the skin. It looks to me as though these women may have some kind of disease or something of that nature wrong with them.
    "I know that if I ever have a little girl, as she grows up, I will point out to her that these woman & girls aren't "normal" that they are too thin & that it is NOT attractive, because it's not." I couldn't agree with you more here! I could never allow my child to think that it was okay to look that sickly thin! Being healthy is one thing but looking like you will literally blow away in the wind is another!
    Thank you for the post. I will most likely be back to look at more topics that I can relate to.
    Chimpanzee

    ReplyDelete