Thursday, April 21, 2011

Facebook-

Facebook.  We all have it.  Even some parent's have it.  I remember when I first got Facebook, there was a  "college" one & a "high school" one.  I was in HS at the time & had to be "invited" to get a page.  Luckily my school was in the "network" data base & I could join!  But at the time, I could only see other HS people...no college students/friends because they were separate!

{via}

I remember the day I could "see" people's pages that were in college!  I was so excited!  I had always wondered what would happen when I went to college if I was going to have a get a new page or not...now my problem had solved itself!  =)

Even now, one of my parent's has FB!  I never thought the day would come!  It grew to where you didn't have to have a university e-mail address to join...anyone could join....without even having to join a "network"!

It has definitely changed the way we do "business".  When someone new moves to town, & you want to learn a little bit about them...just "creep" on them on FB!  It's that simple!  You can learn alot about a person by creeping on them for a few short minutes on FB!

FB has made it possible for us to keep up with every single person we have ever come in contact with, & what they are up to (Network Conference).  We often even keep up with people we don't even know, just people we have heard about.  It has definitely changed the way we communicate with people.  I think it has changed the ways of dating for people & made it so much easier on guys to approach a girl.  A guy can also found out a lot about a girl by looking at her FB page before pursuing to date her.  This can be a good or bad thing.

Sometimes I wonder what my life might be like without FB.  It has definitely helped me stay in touch with people I went to HS with.  Not even people I hung out with, but just people in my graduating class.  If it weren't for FB I would have no idea where they were now, who they had married, or if they had had kids or not.  I like "keeping" up with everybody but I don't live for it like a lot of people.

If I need some information or need to contact someone who is not in my phonebook, yes I will look to FB to help me.  But it has also caused people to be on the computer WAY too much.  THey are too inthralled in other people's lives & what's going on with them.  I know that is has also been the cause of many affairs, & divorces.  FB brings old people, friends & exes back into the picture & makes people wonder, "Oh well...what if?"

This corporation can be looked at as good or bad.  I think it is both.  There are good things that FB has done, but there are also some bad things it has brought upon our world.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Blogger,

    Facebook has truly revolutionized our 21st century lives. It's no longer just a means of communication for friends and family but has grown into a another way for companies to approach us.
    "It has definitely changed the way we do business." Facebook started out with zero adds now they run down both sides of the page and sometimes between our wall posts. Facebook informs other companies what our interests are and they place adds on our page that coincide with those interests.
    "If I need some information or need to contact someone who is not in my phonebook, yes I will look to FB to help me." I even find myself looking up people I don't know when someone else mentions them in a conversation. On the one hand its nice to be able to do that but on the other I'm not sure I want people having that much access to me.
    Thanks for sharing your view point on this subject.

    Kudu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kati,
    Almost everybody has a Facebook. It has come a long way since its creation. Like you said in your blog a person can find a great deal of information about somebody just by looking them up on Facebook. There is nothing good about putting almost all of your information on the internet so everybody can see it. There are many people out there that will use that information against somebody. Another thing that you mentioned is that it allows a person to keep up with everybody that they know. However nobody needs to keep up with everybody that they know. If they want to talk to somebody then they should talk to them face to face and if they don’t then it is not important. Thank you for writing Kati. Facebook makes many people waste time on stupid stuff instead of getting important things done. People need to face reality and take care of their own problems instead of stalking other people.
    Junco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kati,

    I agree with this post very strongly. Facebook has turned out to be a neutral kind of corporation. Not neutral in the sense that nothing happens but neutral in the sense that they've done both good and bad things. Also i'm very addicted to Facebook and understand that it is not good to be on it all of the time.

    I really liked this statement "just "creep" on them on FB! It's that simple!" This statement is very true. Whenever i wanna see a new accuaintance or anything else I use facebook. Somtimes i look on there to see whether or not my friends lie to me about having to ditch me for something else. A lot of people out their have trouble not posting every minute of their lives.

    Another statement i like was "Sometimes I wonder what my life might be like without FB." I couldn't ever live without facebook. I use facebook for just about everything. From playing games to trying to set up parties. Facebook has all kinds of stuff you can use. It's practically your class reunion on the internet.

    I really like this post. It was a great read. I mean who wouldn't love reading about facebook. Hope to read more intersting topics later.

    Sincerely,
    Klipspringer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kati,

    I actually wrote a blog a few weeks ago about how much power really can come from the use of Facebook. In a few countries in Asia have actually had revolts that start from someone saying something on Facebook.

    I loved your entire first paragraph. I remember Myspace, and before that it was Xanga. Facebook was so cool....so elite. I couldn't wait to get a facebook. Not only do twelve year olds have facebooks now, but BOTH of my parents do...it just isn't as fun anymore.

    I really agree with this statement: "You can learn alot about a person by creeping on them for a few short minutes on FB!" I am the epitome of facebook creeper. Employers even use facebook as a tool in hiring people now!

    I enjoyed reading this post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I will definitely be back to your site.

    Zebra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kati,
    I can relate to this post in so many different ways. I actually did a blog myself on Facebook but it was more so along the lines of how the communicating network was developed.
    "It has definitely changed the way we do "business"." This sentence really stood out to me because I can agree with you 100%. It truly has changed the way the world does their business.
    "Facebook. We all have it. Even some parent's have it." I agree with this totally. I was so freaked out the day that I saw a friend request from my parents. In all actuallity I kind of like having them on there and being able to "creep" on my parents lol.
    Thank you for the post. I will be back to visit again.
    Chimpanzee

    ReplyDelete